Friday, July 22, 2011

ICE CREAM AND FLIP FLOPS

It's summertime and boy is it hot!  What a better way to cool off than with an ice cream cake?

Today our neighborhood is having a Tacky Flip flop party and everyone is supposed to wear a pair of flip flops that they deigned themselves. A prize awaits for the Best In Show and I'm sure it's going to be a contest worth seeing!

Sticking with the theme of the party, I thought it would be fun to make a cake in the shape of a pair of flip flops and since it's so hot, I decided an ice cream cake would be even better!

First, I took my husbands flip flop (since it's much bigger than mine) and traced it onto a piece of  brown paper to make myself a pattern. Once I had my pattern, I baked a vanilla cake in a 9x13 pan which was the perfect size for two flip flops. After the cake baked and cooled,  I froze it to make carving out the shape of the flip flops much easier. Once the cakes were nice and frozen, I placed the pattern of the flip flop on top of each cake and carefully carved out the shape of a flip flop. Now to add the ice cream center! I let the ice cream sit out to get soft and then filled each layer with ice cream...YUM! After I assembled both of the cakes, I iced them with a Cool Whip topping and tried my hardest to resist eating them right then! To add some color, I used Necco Wafers for polka dots and made sand from crushed Vanilla Wafers. Muti-colored pipe cleaners that were twisted together made the perfect straps and added the final touch to this fun cake.

In the end, I wasn't sure if I'd win the prize for the TACKIEST flip flops but I knew I'd win for the YUMMIEST ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment