Friday, July 22, 2011

BARBIE TURNS 40

Today is Gina's 40th birthday, but if you could see her, you'd swear she isn't a day over 25.  Gina requested a Barbie cake, so I set out to make her a Barbie Doll cake just like she wanted.

This cake was devils food with a buttercream icing and covered with marshmallow fondant.  I must admit, I had never made a Barbie cake before so this was really fun for me.

I purchased a real Barbie for this cake, so the key was trying to decide how I could get this doll into the cake without her legs riping it apart.  I decided I would wrap lots of tape around her legs and then cover the tape in plastic. Once I finished that, with a lot of prayer (and fingers crossed) I inserted Barbie into the cake and prayed her legs would stay together. Lucky for me, they did. Whew!

Lots of pretty pink fondant sprinkled with pink glitter made the perfect dress for this Barbie.  A pretty sash to cover her waist and some buttons for the front and back and she was almost done! I liked the top that she had on when purchased her so I decided from the start to make the skirt to match it.

When I delivered the cake to Gina's husband he was so surprised and couldn't believe that it looked like a real doll.  Not sure what he was expecting but I was thrilled that he thought it looked real! I just love to exceed my customers expectations! Gina absolutely loved her cake and still doesn't look a day over 25!

HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY GINA!

No comments:

Post a Comment