Friday, July 22, 2011

A BIRTHDAY CAKE FOR NORMA

I love nothing more than surprising my friends with cakes! Baking for the people I love is truly my favorite past time.


Norma is a wonderful friend of mine and her birthday was quickly approaching so I decided to surprise her with a cake. It just so happened that my last Wilton cake class fell on the night of her birthday and I needed to bring a cake to class to decorate so all of this worked out perfectly!

Since it's the holiday season, I wanted to do something in red and green but without it looking like a Christmas cake. I decided to bake a butter pecan cake in a square pan and cover it with buttercream icing for the crumb coat.  Then I covered it in my homemade marshmallow fondant and I was ready for the fun part!
To start, I covered the bottom edges of the cake with white and red circles and added small white circles in the center of the red ones to really make them stand out.  Next, since we don't see much snow in Georgia around the holidays and we all dream of a white Christmas, I decided to paint the flowers and leaves I made for the cake to look like they were dusted with snow. I thought they turned out pretty good...maybe we'll see some real snow after all?

In the end, my instructor for my class was quite pleased with my final cake and Norma was so surprised when I showed up at her house that night with a yummy treat. Happy birthday Norma...and here's to hoping we see a white Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment